Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Camping Gear Review: Custom LeatherCraft EasySeat

[Image incoming soon!]

For my Greenbrier last minute camping trip, I had my first opportunity to try out a new pair of 5 gallon bucket seat lids I purchased on Amazon.com. I consider them a great choice if you dislike collapsible quad frame camp chairs and don't want to lug non-folding chairs to the camp site.

These seats are very simple, but don't let their simplicity fool you. There are some very well thought out design choices in this product. The contour of the seat funnels water to the center where there are 4 channels that guide the water out to the sides of the bucket. The sides overhang the bucket so the bucket's inside should stay dry in mist, rain or melting snow. 

I was confident that, even with my current 385 lbs sitting on them, that they wouldn't collapse or fall in to the $2.50 Home Depot orange buckets I grabbed to use them on. I am not sure I would use them as a step stool at my weight, but that is not their purpose.



They are hard plastic, but are molded to a comfortable curve that is the same all the way around, so you do not need to worry about which way the bucket is facing.After a nice long evening of sitting at the campfire ( and moving the bucket every time the campfire decided I was a salmon in need of smoking) I had no painful spots on my legs and not even a hint of pins and needles anywhere. The lid fits snugly, but not so snugly that you cannot swivel when you sit.

As an added benefit, when I visited my friend Ted's campsite, I was able to transfer my beer and ice into the bucket instead of having to carry a chair and a cooler. This also meant that I had my beer handy. I did have to  get up whenever LL or I wanted another beer though.



 When I was packing for camping, a few buckets came in very handy for containing the various bits and pieces. I put my spare tent stakes, hatchet, mallet, and rope in one and our spare wool blankets and propane bottles in the other. All of this gear could either live in the buckets or get moved in to our 'outside' tote that lives in  our larger tent's vestibule when we have longer trips.

A bucket comes in handy when you have to go get water to smother the fire or wash up dishes, so why not have a multitasker?

Protip: Don't cut off the retail display hanging loop. You can tie this to the bucket's handle so your lid doesn't blow away or get forgotten.

!fat

No comments:

Post a Comment